Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Restriction, Restrictions and more red tape

Here I am planning/analyzing this ultimate vacation (determining what to bring and how much) to determine the red tape is where the issues will occur. I'm quickly finding out how ridiculous the laws/restrictions are in Canada. Pepper Spray is a huge No No. BUT, if you arrive stating you have, "Bear Spray", the situation changes rapidly. They allow Bear Spray, but not pepper spray. In other words, they want you to get attacked or killed by your fellow man, but we will help you avoid the bear. Who are they fooling. I still rather have a shot gun. Personal protection is another issue. No firearms in the forest. The heart of the law states you have to wrap the gun in "wrapping paper" and then leave your weapon in the car. Interesting.

It appears that the Mrs. and I have completed the menu selection for our 20 backpacking days. Hopefully the rest of the bears will enjoy boiled noodles for lunch, because it is very light and easy to make. Dinners will be healthy and hearty. Our menu is complete with tantalizing dishes such as cranberry chicken, beef stew, sweet and sour pork and my favorite chicken with gravy and stuffing. You must sample backpacking meals before embarking on an adventure like this. Otherwise, the cook will be unpopular at mealtime.

As for other preparation, I have the route already loaded onto my new Explorist 600 GPS. I ensure the Mrs. that I will be the blame for unfortunate route selections. I have planned two routes to our final destination in Canada. One from State Route 89 into Utah to I15 and the other through Las Wages to I15. I opted for the Las Vegas route because a former neighbor, Connie, suggested this safer night route. THANK YOU CONNIE!!!

We will embark around 6:00 p.m and drive until 1:00 p.m . arriving in southern MT. We will clock several miles. The kids have plenty entertainment gadgets, such as a Game Cube and DVD TV set.

No comments: