Monday, July 11, 2005


6.5 hours later we arrived at the Stanley Mitchell, wet, hungry and definitely exhausted. We unfortunately got a late start, starting at 1:30 p.m. The picture here shows a small glacier fed lake. The trail appear to veer towards the glacier into heavier snow fields, creating a major panic for me. GPS said that we were on course and the Stanley Mitchell was approximately 2.5 miles away. My instincts and fatherly love kicked in creating major doubts on the pending trail ahead. We backtracked 15 minutes to look at the previous trail sign. No clues. Just more disparity from the troops. I decided to use my Trump card and call a friend. So, I cranked out the SAT phone and dialed the ACC command center. Sorry to say, but a clueless response. So, I contacted the emergency warden number in Banff. The dispatcher knew of the area where I was, because I gave her the junction information and the description of the lake pictured here. The dispatcher indicated that my GPS was correct and my fears were wrong. 5 more rolling hills and valleys we should be in sites of the Stanley Mitchell. The dispatcher was correct. Thank you Qualcomm. Remote rugged wilderness travels turn into disasters when panic sets in. You will succumb to the elements quickly. Always be prepared. If you don't know the trail and will be traveling into remote areas, don't skimp on renting a satellite phone. It is worth the piece of mind.
Copyright KOZMO 2005

No comments: